You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers autocorrect

I am trying to write “Jan” in Numbers as it is a name and it keeps automatically changing it to January no matter what I do. Already turned off the spell correction and substitutions. This is driving me nuts

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 2:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 8:08 PM

Numbers is guessing that you want to input a Month name that is under the hood is a date-time value for the beginning of the month. (This guess is useful in many situations, but not yours).

To tell Numbers you want the actual text Jan in the cell just type a ' before the Jan. If the data format of the cell is Automatic then Numbers will interpret that as Jan and drop the leading '.

You can also first select the cells where you want to enter Jan Feb, etc. and choose Text as the data format. Then enter as Jan, Feb (without the leading ').

SG

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 28, 2020 8:08 PM in response to august241

Numbers is guessing that you want to input a Month name that is under the hood is a date-time value for the beginning of the month. (This guess is useful in many situations, but not yours).

To tell Numbers you want the actual text Jan in the cell just type a ' before the Jan. If the data format of the cell is Automatic then Numbers will interpret that as Jan and drop the leading '.

You can also first select the cells where you want to enter Jan Feb, etc. and choose Text as the data format. Then enter as Jan, Feb (without the leading ').

SG

Numbers autocorrect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.