You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo Albums on Mac out of order

I create albums for events and keep them in chronological order (newest at top). All of a sudden the titles on left column started shifting and now I have 5 year old albums near the top. They're basically all out of order. I didn't do anything except create a new album for tonight's photos. HELP!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 31, 2020 4:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2020 1:09 AM

Hi - I assume you mean the order of albums in the sidebar, and not the photos in the album?

Photos is not good at retaining the order of albums at the top level of the sidebar. So to fix, you can put the albums into a folder. Then it is possible to sort the folder by age, or name. (see the screenshot). If you want to customise the order, put a number in front of the name - eg 01, 02 etc, and use sort by name.

You can create a folder in the same way as an album (with the + symbol) - but select folder instead of album.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 1, 2020 1:09 AM in response to ReginaAHVogel

Hi - I assume you mean the order of albums in the sidebar, and not the photos in the album?

Photos is not good at retaining the order of albums at the top level of the sidebar. So to fix, you can put the albums into a folder. Then it is possible to sort the folder by age, or name. (see the screenshot). If you want to customise the order, put a number in front of the name - eg 01, 02 etc, and use sort by name.

You can create a folder in the same way as an album (with the + symbol) - but select folder instead of album.

Photo Albums on Mac out of order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.