You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

UNABLE TO REPLACE APPLE ID WITH ICLOUD ACCOUNT

Hi there!

I've been using a Gmail account as my Apple ID for quite sometime now. Just recently, I created my free iCloud account so I could use its Mail feature. Is there any way for me to make my iCloud account my Apple ID? My iCloud was accidentally put as an alias to my Apple ID and now whenever I try to change my Apple ID to my iCloud account, it says 'This email address cannot be used as an Apple ID at this time.'

Hope you could share your experiences on this. Thanks!

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 3:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 5:20 PM

Since Gmail is your primary, log in to your Google account and set up a rule to forward those messages to your iCloud email address. The web based Gmail account interface has a lot of features for that account.

6 replies

Nov 2, 2020 4:34 PM in response to howtouseApple

Since you used a third party email AppleID to create the iCloud account, both your gmail AND the @iCloud.com address will log you in to the same AppleID. You can use whichever one you wish to use as your AppleID. They both are synonymous login IDs to the same AppleID.

About a month after you make it, you’ll be able to promote the @icloud.com address to the primary email address slot if you like. But note that once you do that, you’ll never be able to edit that primary email address for your AppleID.

IMO, it’s better to keep the third party address as the primary email address to keep the flexibility of being able to edit it later on. You can still just login to everything with the iCloud email address.

UNABLE TO REPLACE APPLE ID WITH ICLOUD ACCOUNT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.