You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Chrome Requires Passcode to Use Saved Passwords

Passcode is turned off on my iPad Pro, but In the last several days, Chrome started displaying this message when I try to use saved passwords:

”To use passwords, you must first set up a passcode on your device.”

What has changed? Is it an Apple change or a Chrome change? Is there a way to bypass the passcode requirement? I am on iOS 14.0.1.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Nov 6, 2020 10:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 1:39 PM

Touch to fill is what it’s called on Android, on iOS it’s chrome://flags/#enable-autofill-password-reauth-ios

12 replies

Nov 25, 2020 9:28 AM in response to GPeas

how to stop chrome from asking for your iPhone passcode everytime you use saved passwords:

1. go to chrome://flags/
  2. search for fill OR
  3. search for Enable Autofill reauth request for passwords (that's not what i did but it should allow you to skip step 3 so just mentioning)
  4. scroll to the bottom of the results after searching fill (it was at the bottom of the page for me originally, screenshot has it at the top because it is now disabled)
  5. go to "Enable Autofill reauth request for passwords" and change setting from default to disabled using drop down
  6. relaunch chrome app

I had this issue as well on my iPhone XR, disappointed I didn't find this thread and a separate one before updating my iOS to see if that would solve the issue. I was on iOS 13.06 (I believe) and updated to 14.02 to see if it would solve the problem; it obviously didn't.

I'm adding on to this in case anyone else has this problem and finds this. The answer provided by Oswallt did not solve the issue for me, I copied the provided link and then did what OP said (searched for password) but nothing came up. I was actually able to fix it by info provided on a google support thread and the above steps are what I did to resolve the issue.

Nov 14, 2020 1:33 PM in response to GPeas

Edit: it looks like this is a new feature in chrome https://security.googleblog.com/2020/10/new-password-protections-and-more-in.html

Edit 2: looks like you can turn it off, but it wasn’t available for me. Maybe it will work for someone else, though https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/66056084?hl=en

I have the same problem, but I’m on an iPad Air 2 running iOS 12.4.9.

Chrome Requires Passcode to Use Saved Passwords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.