You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

editing HDR video on iMovie

I recently got the new iPhone 12, and recorded some videos on it. When trying to edit the video on iMovie on my Mac, the colors on the video are very vibrant and not like the original. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 8, 2020 10:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2020 3:07 PM

iMovie for Mac doesn't yet support the HDR video from your iPhone 12. It makes it overly bright. You would need to go to your phone settings and turn off HDR for recording future videos. Go into the camera settings and turn off HDR under the Record Video sub menu. Once the HDR setting is off any future recordings should work in iMovie for Mac.

If you cannot redo your current HDR videos iMovie on your iPhone supports HDR. You could use iMovie for iOS. Or (and I'm not sure that this will work) you could try importing your HDR video into iMovie on your iPhone, and then use AirDrop to transfer the iPhone iMovie project, as opposed to the video, to your Mac. It will go into your downloads folder. Double click on it there and it will open an iMovie for Mac project with the video in it. See if iMovie has converted your HDR video so it will play properly. As I said, I'm not sure that it will work, but may be worth a try.

-- Rich

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 8, 2020 3:07 PM in response to frida38

iMovie for Mac doesn't yet support the HDR video from your iPhone 12. It makes it overly bright. You would need to go to your phone settings and turn off HDR for recording future videos. Go into the camera settings and turn off HDR under the Record Video sub menu. Once the HDR setting is off any future recordings should work in iMovie for Mac.

If you cannot redo your current HDR videos iMovie on your iPhone supports HDR. You could use iMovie for iOS. Or (and I'm not sure that this will work) you could try importing your HDR video into iMovie on your iPhone, and then use AirDrop to transfer the iPhone iMovie project, as opposed to the video, to your Mac. It will go into your downloads folder. Double click on it there and it will open an iMovie for Mac project with the video in it. See if iMovie has converted your HDR video so it will play properly. As I said, I'm not sure that it will work, but may be worth a try.

-- Rich

editing HDR video on iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.