You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro crashes before I can type in my password. What can I do?

My 15" mid-2012 Retina MacBook Pro recently crashed and couldn't boot up. I eventually managed to fix the problem by resetting the SMC and NVRAM and use it for a while. But it crashed again after about an hour of use and now the MacBook Pro crashes before I could even type my password into it. What has happened to it and what did I do?

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 9:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 9:40 PM

Hi,

Start up in Safe mode then normal boot could solve the issue.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/start-up-your-mac-in-safe-mode-mh21245/mac

If it doesn't help, try to run Apple Hardware Test if it reports something.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

3 replies

Nov 11, 2020 10:21 PM in response to kaz-k

I tried both methods. For the times it did boot up successfully in Safe Mode, I didn't get to click into my account before it crashed. There was a red line right as it crashed too. For some other times, the MacBook crashed while the logo's up. Similar things happened when I was doing the Hardware Test. The MacBook either crashed when the globe appeared or it crashed halfway through typing the WiFi password.

One thing to add was that the area around the keyboard and the logic board got pretty hot for a while even when it was not turned on when I was figuring out how to fix it yesterday. The light under the keys didn't light up when I was typing my password, but the logo on the back did.

Do I take it to Apple Care? Thanks for the help.

Please ignore the Solved post. I clicked the wrong button. Haha.

MacBook Pro crashes before I can type in my password. What can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.