You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur install failure

I have the latest Mac Pro 16" 2019 and Mac OS 10.15.7 and download was at 12.18 gb(which was listed as the size to be downloaded) and it failed. Message "An error occurred while installing the selected updates".

I restarted the laptop, tried again, same error after restarting update.

any clues???

Thanks,

bob

Posted on Nov 12, 2020 1:05 PM

15 replies

Nov 12, 2020 1:21 PM in response to Jerseybob

I'm furious. I've spent £35 on a data add-on so that I can get Big Sur tonight. It says it will take 8 hours and it has failed four times. I now see I only had 31GB free whereas I need more than 35GB free on my Disk. I've deleted purchased software to make space but I don't know what else to do; thats given me another 1GB . My music and photos are in iCloud but if I delete them on my laptop they will vanish from iCloud.

Nov 12, 2020 9:14 PM in response to Jerseybob

Installation was successfully restarted after Apple server issue was resolved. But install hung up after the first restart at what appeared to be the conclusion. The screen showed the Apple logo, the progress line and no indication of minutes to complete.

After 2 hours, I shutdown laptop and restarted and the system came up with Big Sur. "About this Mac" reported macOS Big Sur version 11.0.1

No other issues to report.

Nov 18, 2020 1:42 PM in response to Jerseybob

A week later- now November 18 the install failure is still happening on my 2019 16" MBP. Two hour session on phone with Apple tech didn't resolve a thing. I'm guessing that Big Sur is sill Little Sur and not ready for prime time. Maybe Apple should pull it from the servers, fix the problem that lots of people seem to be having, and save all of us, including their own techs, a lot of time.

Nov 18, 2020 3:44 PM in response to MacBookAirRetina

After four failed downloads taking many hours over my mobile wifi, I was able to download Big Sur in about ten minutes over the free wifi in a friend's coffee shop (don't ask where but it's in the UK). I was astounded by the difference. The download went without a hitch and the installation was free of problems although it took much longer as I expected. I was not paying an "emergency" data rate for the installation and simply had to be patient.

The only snag I've hit has been logging in to my banking site which required me to open a private window. That's an easy trick to learn and seems to be protective so is not a glitch.

My friend's café has wifi but the signal comes to him over fibre so it might be a good cable line is best for a successful download.

Nov 18, 2020 6:42 PM in response to Ewan Lamont

I've tried several times on wi-fi and ethernet - both fast and reliable - with no luck. Also worked with an Apple tech for a couple of hours to no avail. Apple is aware of the problem, but they don't know how to fix it. I am giving up, especially because I've read horror stories of Big Sur bricking computers plus Catalina really messed up my iMac six months ago by completely denying that I existed and wouldn't let me sign on even after I completely installed Catalina.. Apple never could diagnose what happened, so I am extremely leery of any new OS.

Big Sur install failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.