You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Hangs at Startup

I installed Big Sur, but after the download, the computer never gets past the black startup screen. I keep getting a message there was an error starting up, and to press a key or wait to start up again. I am caught in this loop. Pretty frustrating.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 12, 2020 7:48 PM

13 replies

Nov 12, 2020 8:39 PM in response to gbol

gbol Said:

Big Sur Hangs at Startup: I installed Big Sur, but after the download, the computer never gets past the black startup screen. I keep getting a message there was an error starting up, and to press a key or wait to start up again. I am caught in this loop. Pretty frustrating.

———-

Trojan (Looping Item):

That would seem to me to be a looping item - a trojan of sorts that keeps repeating itself.

Boot into Safe Mode:

Hold Down the shift key. If you can log in:

First, clear your Temporary Internet Files - Apple Communities

Then, Scan your Mac for Malware:

Use MalwareBytes for Mac --- This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

If Neither Works - Reinstall the macOS:

1. First, Back up your Mac:

If you can boot in to Safe Mode, then create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the install.

2. Then, Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Nov 16, 2020 9:13 AM in response to SMfmDXB

SMfmDXB Said:

"Force start - hold the power button down for 3-4 seconds. Mine was stuck too but booted right into the log in screen. The only install that went well was the one via a USB Installer."

-------

👍

Report this as a Bug to Apple:

Let Apple know that you came across this, and that you found a solution. Explain to them how you came across that solution, and other methods you went about troubleshooting this. Apple won’t get back to you directly, but the more the feedback they receive on this, the more they’ll know what is going on and what needs to be fixed in updates to come.

To Report it:

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Proceed from there as necessary.

Nov 16, 2020 10:38 PM in response to SMfmDXB

gbol Said:

Big Sur Hangs at Startup: Thank you and will do .. However the link you have given seems to be one for the iPhone. Is there is similar one for the MBP as well? (I looked and was unable to find one)[...] Pls ignore.. found the link - report sent."

-------

You are welcome. For Note...

You Should use the macOS Option:

Provide your Feedback:

Do your Part: Report this issue to Apple using your feedback. Include how you’ve troubleshot this, and your results. Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive from its users, the more likely they will know what needs to be fixed.

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Performance" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Software/Firmware Update" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Nov 12, 2020 8:30 PM in response to gbol

gbol Said:

Big Sur Hangs at Startup: I installed Big Sur, but after the download, the computer never gets past the black startup screen. I keep getting a message there was an error starting up, and to press a key or wait to start up again. I am caught in this loop. Pretty frustrating.

———-

Take this as a Learning Experience:

Know to always create a Time Machine Backup, of your Mac, that way, you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the install. An update failure is a pure example of why to backup. Use an external hard drive that is at least 1.5 the total storage capacity as that of your internal hard drive.

So, if something went wrong, then restore from the backup, if created prior this install.

Nov 16, 2020 4:50 AM in response to Alexander_42

Similar issue with MacBook Pro 13-inch Mid 2014.

After updating MacBook Pro (to Big Sur) does not respond to any key combinations: 

- there is no way to reset NVRAM / SMC; 

- there is no way to run it from an external device; 

- there is no way to start into recovery mode (local or from the Internet); 

Sometimes, after 10-20 attempts, when I turn it on, I immediately disconnect or connect the power cable and the MBP starts up.

Try this. If successful - do not shut down or restart the MBP until Apple releases an update to fix this issue. 😰

Big Sur Hangs at Startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.