You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Install hangs up after reboot

I began an install/upgrade of my Mac to Big Sur last night. The initial stages seemed to go ok. I left it for a while, came back and got the multi-colored new sign in screen. I clicked on my standard icon representing me as the user, entered my password and it has had nothing but a spinning wheel under my log in name for about 8 hours. Oddly, I am getting the little "take a tour" messages and something is running in the background because I actually got a calendar notice of a recurring event! But the screen is stuck with the multicolor splash, login name and spinning disk (not the beach ball).

I'm a little afraid to just power this down, but what else is there to do?

iMac Pro

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 5:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 1:28 PM

Hello korkyk,

We understand your Mac displays a spinning wheel and appears to be stuck after installing Big Sur. If you are not able to proceed past this screen or make any selections, restarting is a great step to take.

If you are able to access the Apple () menu, try the applicable steps from If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly on Mac.

We hope that helps!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 19, 2020 1:28 PM in response to korkyk

Hello korkyk,

We understand your Mac displays a spinning wheel and appears to be stuck after installing Big Sur. If you are not able to proceed past this screen or make any selections, restarting is a great step to take.

If you are able to access the Apple () menu, try the applicable steps from If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly on Mac.

We hope that helps!

Big Sur Install hangs up after reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.