You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

REPLACING mid-2017 Macbook Pro battery

My 2017 MacBook Pro also needs a new battery. Clicking on the battery symbol brings the message "Service recommended". I tried a few on-line suggestions & upgraded to Catalina.

I called apple and made an appointment through them with the Microcenter in Cambridge Mass. Since there is no service that can be done on the battery, I just wanted to get a new one. I called Microcenter Main number, and they said that my local store had the battery I needed (I believe they said it would be about 150 or $160 installed). They said it would take an hour or two and could be done while I waited.

When I got to the Cambridge, MA Microcenter service area, I was told that they could take my computer for two or three days and do an analysis for $40. I asked if that $40 would go towards the cost of a new battery and installation, and they said no. Furthermore, they said, no, they didn't have any batteries in stock, in fact they never keep batteries in stock.  And in order to order a battery from apple, they would have to keep my computer for 7 to 10 days.

Now, the computer operates fine, it's just that the battery is failing. It makes no sense that they have to keep my computer during the time they are ordering the battery. I offered to pay for it upfront, but still they said it wasn't possible for me to keep the computer while they order the battery. How insane is this? The tech said that it was Apple policy – which makes no Sense at all. When I asked to speak to his supervisor, he said no one was available, everybody was in a meeting. So I took my computer and left. If this is really Apple policy can anyone explain how that makes any sense?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 8:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 9:11 AM

lex11 wrote:

My 2017 MacBook Pro also needs a new battery.

And in order to order a battery from apple, they would have to keep my computer for 7 to 10 days.

Now, the computer operates fine, it's just that the battery is failing. It makes no sense that they have to keep my computer during the time they are ordering the battery. I offered to pay for it upfront, but still they said it wasn't possible for me to keep the computer while they order the battery. How insane is this? The tech said that it was Apple policy – which makes no Sense at all. When I asked to speak to his supervisor, he said no one was available, everybody was in a meeting. So I took my computer and left. If this is really Apple policy can anyone explain how that makes any sense?

Well, if your Apple local store is not open, you can try Best Buy or some other AASP.

If you do not have a backup computer/hardware— and your Mac is mission critical to your day to day... then it gives you something to think about— your backup strategy.

If you are in a pickle, you can buy a new computer—get it set up, then ship your mac for repair. Upon return, you have 14-days to return any new purchase for a full refund. Take advantage of that offer if need be.

Apple Authorized Service Providers

(note: due to the temporary closure of Apple Stores and the staggered reopening there may be some delays.

ref: https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/store/temporary_closures )

“Mac notebook, contact us and we'll send you a box you can use to ship it to an Apple Repair Center. We'll return your repaired product to you as quickly as possible. Depending on where you get service, you might be able to check the status of your repair online.” Start a service request https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 13, 2020 9:11 AM in response to lex11

lex11 wrote:

My 2017 MacBook Pro also needs a new battery.

And in order to order a battery from apple, they would have to keep my computer for 7 to 10 days.

Well, if your Apple local store is not open, you can try Best Buy or some other AASP.

If you do not have a backup computer/hardware— and your Mac is mission critical to your day to day... then it gives you something to think about— your backup strategy.

If you are in a pickle, you can buy a new computer—get it set up, then ship your mac for repair. Upon return, you have 14-days to return any new purchase for a full refund. Take advantage of that offer if need be.

Apple Authorized Service Providers

(note: due to the temporary closure of Apple Stores and the staggered reopening there may be some delays.

ref: https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/store/temporary_closures )

“Mac notebook, contact us and we'll send you a box you can use to ship it to an Apple Repair Center. We'll return your repaired product to you as quickly as possible. Depending on where you get service, you might be able to check the status of your repair online.” Start a service request https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

REPLACING mid-2017 Macbook Pro battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.