You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating my Ipad 4 to newest IOS versions

How can I update my IPad 4 to more than IOS 10.3.3 ?

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 6:31 PM

8 replies

Nov 14, 2020 11:16 AM in response to cankarakash

No electronics computing company supports their older products forever.

And technology, especially personal, mobile device technologies, continues to move forward and constantly improve/advance at a very fast pace.

Are you still using a 20 or 30-year old computer?

My wife and I are still using 10 and 11-year old Macs, but I know their days are numbered and won't be able to access the modern Internet forever.

Apple supports their older computers and devices longer than any mobile computing devices made Google or Microsoft.

iPhones and iPads get supported for between 5 to 6 years!

With Google Android devices, you are lucky to get 2 or 3 and maybe, MAYBE 4 years of older device/product support.

Apple, as well as, third party app developers supported that 8-year old iPad 4 for 5-6 years.

Computer and electronics technologies are NOT automobiles and such electronics technologies get advanced and improved very quickly on a yearly cycle and older electronics technologies get outdated and underpowered, over time, as new technologies and new and more powerful and sophisticated software applications get created.

It is what it is and this cycle will not change anytime soon.

I still have newer iPads, but I still use an over 9-year old iPad 2.

For your old, 8-year old iPad 4, you should stop using any older Web browsers that have not gotten any updates in 2-3 years.

Especially stop using that over 3-year old iOS Safari Web browser.

One up to date Web browser that I am using on my 9-year old iPad is called

ALook Web browser

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/alook-browser-2x-speed/id1261944766

This is a fairly new and recent third party Web browser that gets updated regularly by its lone developer and supoorts older iOS device models that are still running iOS 9 and 10.

It is a really good third party Web browser for both old and new iPads.

Check it out!

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

Nov 13, 2020 7:18 PM in response to cankarakash

You can't.

The over 8-year old, 2012 iPad 4th generation cannot be upgraded beyond iOS 10.3.3/10.3.4.

That iPad is too old and incompatible ( as well as underpowered ) with the later iOS 11 and later iOS/iPadOS versions.

Sorry, but this is the reality for 8 and 9-year old iOS devices at this late timeframe.

ALL support for these 8 and 9-year old iOS devices ended 2 and 3 years, ago.

If you need/want updated iPad apps, then you need to seriously consider a new iPad model or a “newer” , used iPad model capable of running the latest iPadOS 14 versions.

There are plenty of newer, older iPad models that can run the current iPadOS 14.

Best of Luck to You!

Updating my Ipad 4 to newest IOS versions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.