You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Merge 2 separate photo libraries into 1

I have imported pictures from my external hard drive but I had to open a new photo library. Now I have 2 separate photo libraries but I would like to have only one for all pictures, how can I merge them. I tried to import but Photos does not let me import it to my original library. Thanks for help.

Br Anna

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 11:36 AM

2 replies

Nov 14, 2020 11:53 AM in response to AnnaMunkler

It is not possible to import a photos library into another library to merge them. Photos can only import photos or videos.

You have three options:

1. Export all photos from the smaller library (as the unmodified original) and import the exported photos into your second library. But you will lose the adjustments, named faces, and any albums you created. See: Combine libraries in Photos - Apple Support
  2. Merge the libraries with the paid, full version of PowerPhotos. This will give a very good, nearly lossless merge on macOS 10.15.1 Catalina or newer. Which version of macOS do you have installed?
  3. Or, if you are using iCloud Photos, merge the libraries in iCloud by making both libraries your iCloud Photo Library, one after the other. This will give the best, lossless merge.

See: Notes on Merging Photos Libraries, 2019 Version

Nov 14, 2020 11:51 AM in response to AnnaMunkler

There are two ways to do what you want: 1 - using the iCloud Library; 2 - using the paid version of PowerPhotos.

The iCloud Library method would be the most complete but would require purchasing enough iCloud Drive space to house the two libraries and would a lot more time.

The PowerPhotos method is described in this PowerPhotos help page: Merging libraries.

Merge 2 separate photo libraries into 1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.