You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email gone bad

I converted to Mac OS Big Sur and my e-mail "Trash" folder is empty, any mail that I delete disappears and doesn't go to "Trash", and the "Junk" folder is gone. HELP!!

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 1:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 12:34 PM

My mail account with Comcast showed the same behavior as yours. I did see a post with a solution. Do this in Mail App, hover cursor over favorites at top of left side panel, click on +sign, then select all trash. This puts trash in favorites list and seems to work, at least it has worked for a couple of days for me.

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 25, 2020 12:34 PM in response to Canandaigua_7021

My mail account with Comcast showed the same behavior as yours. I did see a post with a solution. Do this in Mail App, hover cursor over favorites at top of left side panel, click on +sign, then select all trash. This puts trash in favorites list and seems to work, at least it has worked for a couple of days for me.

Nov 23, 2020 2:00 PM in response to Canandaigua_7021

Hi there, Canandaigua_7021.

It appears that you're having a problem with the Mail application on your Mac. When you delete a message, it doesn't go to the Trash folder, and the Junk folder is missing. We understand how important emails is, and we're glad to help with this.

Delete emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support -- With the Mail app open, choose Mail > Preferences from the menu bar, then click Accounts. Select an account, then choose Mailbox Behaviors and make sure that the Trash Mailbox is set to Deleted Messages.

Change Junk Mail preferences in Mail on Mac - Apple Support -- Next, select the "Junk Mail” tab on the same screen and make sure that "Enable junk mail filtering" is selected.

If you’re still having a problem with either issue, quit the Mail application using Mail > Quit Mail, then restart your Mac. See if the Mail app is behaving as it should now.

Feel free to get back to us with any questions or problems you may have.

Take care.

Nov 25, 2020 11:39 AM in response to SnickZ.

Your suggestion has not helped. Here is what the Mailbox Behaviors looks like. Other accounts that I do not use (Google) have more detail and allow direction to where Junk and Trash mail go. This does not. Also, it seems that the junk mail isn't even being retrieved. I have looked at the server and found mail that I did not receive. Can you tell me why different accounts are treated differently? Can you tell me why deleted e-mail doesn't go to my Trash folder?

Nov 24, 2020 5:36 AM in response to SnickZ.

All of these suggestions were already in place. I did as you said closing e-mail, then opened and "deleted" an e-mail. It did NOT go to Trash. It disappeared. There still is no "Junk" folder in the "On My Mac" area. There is in the Google e-mail area. That one appears to be working. My e-mail is from my cable provider. This was not a problem before converting to Big SUR.

Nov 24, 2020 11:05 AM in response to Barney-15E

There is a checkbox to "Move deleted messages to the Trash Mailbox". This is checked. IT DOESN'T WORK!!! That's what I've been saying! There is no option of "selecting" which Trash Mailbox. Also, the Junk Mail behaviors says to move Junk mail to the "Junk Mailbox". It doesn't exist. Do I have to create a Junk Mailbox from the pull down menu? Why?????

Email gone bad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.