You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't view/open RAW or .CR3 photo files on my MacBook (updated OS)

Hi there!

I shot a wedding yesterday and handed my second shooter my SD card. Here's the problem, she used RAW camera setting. I imported the files on my MacBook, but I can't view the photos. They are just mere grey squares. Although, prior to importing, I can see what the photos look like in thumbnail. But when I imported them, they are just grey square just like in the photo below. PLEASE HELP!!!

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 8:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 6:07 AM

Which camera model is it?

You should be able to see the camera model in the Info for the photo.

Photos 5 on Catalina supports these camera models: Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 13, iPadOS 13 and macOS Catalina – Apple Support

A grey thumbnail does not necessarily mean an incompatible RAW format. Usually an incompatible RAW format will show an exclamation point in the thumbnail. What happens, when you double click a thumbnail to view it enlarged? Do you get an error message?

If yes, what is the error message?

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 16, 2020 6:07 AM in response to jollasr

Which camera model is it?

You should be able to see the camera model in the Info for the photo.

Photos 5 on Catalina supports these camera models: Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 13, iPadOS 13 and macOS Catalina – Apple Support

A grey thumbnail does not necessarily mean an incompatible RAW format. Usually an incompatible RAW format will show an exclamation point in the thumbnail. What happens, when you double click a thumbnail to view it enlarged? Do you get an error message?

If yes, what is the error message?

Can't view/open RAW or .CR3 photo files on my MacBook (updated OS)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.