You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not Enough Space to Update to Big Sur

Was ready to install Big Sur, but I do not have enough storage on my MacBook Air, which has 250 GB, but only 19 GB available. Here's what I've found that is taking the most space (Each of these is a folder):

Library Folder (137.89GB) > Containers (96.31GB) > com.apple.mail (91.27 GB) > Data (91.26GB) > Library (91.26 GB) > Logs (90.1 GB) > Mail (90.1 GB)

"Mail" has 16 .txt files, with the two largest being one for my mail account with my ISP, which is 43.54 GB, and one for my gmail account, which is 26.79 GB.

I'm wondering if I can delete these, or if they are the actual individual email messages. I have found in the past that recreating email folders from Time Machine can be quite an undertaking, so although I have a Time Machine backup, I'd hate to have to re-do my email folders.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 10:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 5:58 AM

I noticed there were two files for my ISP and two for Gmail. They were not duplicates, as the second file for each is about half the size of the bigger ones. So I moved the smaller file for each to a thumb drive. Then I did a test of moving the files back from the thumb drive to their original location, and I was able to do that. So I think I've got myself covered. I hope.

Also, my Apple Mail is also inside Library > Mail, which is only 14 GB. But I found this other stuff by using to File > Go > Library.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 18, 2020 5:58 AM in response to steve626

I noticed there were two files for my ISP and two for Gmail. They were not duplicates, as the second file for each is about half the size of the bigger ones. So I moved the smaller file for each to a thumb drive. Then I did a test of moving the files back from the thumb drive to their original location, and I was able to do that. So I think I've got myself covered. I hope.

Also, my Apple Mail is also inside Library > Mail, which is only 14 GB. But I found this other stuff by using to File > Go > Library.

Nov 17, 2020 9:43 PM in response to NancyH

I recommend that you NOT delete those files directly that are in nested folders inside your Library folder unless you know exactly what you are doing. The way to delete mail to save space is to delete messages from inside the Mail application and empty the trash.

Also, on my MacBook Pro 10.15.7 my Apple Mail is inside Library > Mail not the location you described.

Nov 18, 2020 11:05 AM in response to NancyH

First, it is not possible to delete or remove any of the apps or files which are installed as part of the Apple operating system. If I may, I would suggest that now is a good time to look at installing an external drive for storage of some of your files, which you can move over from the hard drive. No need to buy an expensive SSD. A lower cost mechanical drive is fine for storage and will cost less money. That can free up a lot of space for you. Enjoy Big Sur. It's great.

Not Enough Space to Update to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.