You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur update is stuck

The update says 8 hours. About 4 or 5 hours into it below the progress bar it says "12.18 GB of 12.18 GB", but the progress bar is still only at about 85 percent and it just seems stuck. Eventually it says the update failed. I try again and it skips to about 9 GB of the 12.18 GB, says it will take between 5 and 8 days to complete, then the progress bar skips to about 85% again and again says "12.18 GB of 12.18 GB" below it.

Any thoughts? It's a brand new Mac and I'm frustrated with Apple updates. I'm on limited bandwidth on satellite internet and two attempts at a 12.18 GB update is very costly. I only get 20 GB a month and that already costs $90!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 4:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 7:25 AM

Thank you for your suggestions, Joseph.

I discovered that the problem was terrible satellite internet service. It was extremely spotty. After two failed attempts to upgrade to Big Sur (and nearly all of my monthly data allowance used up) I packed up my computer and took it to a place where the internet was better and it upgraded in less than 5 hours.

Thanks again. Problem solved.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 29, 2020 7:25 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Thank you for your suggestions, Joseph.

I discovered that the problem was terrible satellite internet service. It was extremely spotty. After two failed attempts to upgrade to Big Sur (and nearly all of my monthly data allowance used up) I packed up my computer and took it to a place where the internet was better and it upgraded in less than 5 hours.

Thanks again. Problem solved.

Nov 29, 2020 7:15 AM in response to Buffsters

Hey there Buffsters,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having some issues updating your Mac. We're happy to provide some assistance.

Let's remove any peripherals you have connected to your device, restart your Mac and try again:

Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac

If the issue persists, try connecting to a different internet connection to attempt the update since you mentioned you have limited bandwidth. If you cannot connect to a different internet connection, you can create a bootable installer of Big Sur using another computer:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS

We hope this helps.

Have a great day!

Big Sur update is stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.