You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

whether apps will function well on M1 chip

To whom may concern,

Hello! Very nice to communicate with you via online chat.

Now, I am considering purchase a new MacBook. The newest one which equipped with the M1 chip is really attractive! However, I heard that some software should be loaded in case of apps installing. Even though some kind of app still can not be installed due to the special system.

I am biological study researcher. I utilize apps to analyze data daily, such as Snapgene, Endnote, Fiji/ImageJ and GraphPad Prism. I am wondering whether these apps could be installed based on M1chip Macbook Air or Pro? Or is there some other ways for me to validate?

Thank,

Yiqiong

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 8:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 9:03 AM

See here: https://isapplesiliconready.com/

That wesbite is tracking apps to see if they work with the M1.

In most cases, apps that run on the Intel Macs should run directly using the Rosetta 2 translation layer without any issue. Though actual performance may be affected, it the vast majority of cases this should not be noticeable.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 23, 2020 9:03 AM in response to Yiqiong

See here: https://isapplesiliconready.com/

That wesbite is tracking apps to see if they work with the M1.

In most cases, apps that run on the Intel Macs should run directly using the Rosetta 2 translation layer without any issue. Though actual performance may be affected, it the vast majority of cases this should not be noticeable.

whether apps will function well on M1 chip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.