You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine - keep Old Drive, Start a New Drive ?

If I have a time machine drive full, can I unplug it and just start a new Time Machine one on a new drive?

If I need files off the old TM drive can I just plug it in to get the files I may need?

There seems to be no information about this, anywhere.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 6:49 PM

5 replies

Nov 25, 2020 3:16 PM in response to SoloMeter

SoloMeter wrote:

So would I eject the new TM and plug in the old TM to access old files, and if so, is there a reason why the old TM would not start trying to do a backup ?

Is it then possible to keep the old Time machine (TM1) drive plugged in and just add a new Time Machine (TM2) drive that starts saving my backups to TM2? If so, is there a way to do this ?

Thanks.

Open the Time Machine Preference

click Add or Remove Backup Disk...

select the old TM Backup Disk

click Remove Disk

Nov 25, 2020 1:44 PM in response to den.thed

Hi, Thanks

So would I eject the new TM and plug in the old TM to access old files, and if so, is there a reason why the old TM would not start trying to do a backup ?

Is it then possible to keep the old Time machine (TM1) drive plugged in and just add a new Time Machine (TM2) drive that starts saving my backups to TM2? If so, is there a way to do this ?

Thanks.

Time Machine - keep Old Drive, Start a New Drive ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.