You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter won't work

I've upgraded to Big Sur and my old USB to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter won't work? What can I do?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 8:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 4:14 PM

Ok, from the apple menu, select about this mac, and then click on the system report button. That should launch the System Information application. At the bottom of the hardware list is USB. Select that. It will show you what is currently plugged into your USB ports. Plug in your usb to ethernet dongle and let us know if it shows up. Also, have you tried different USB ports on the laptop? And with your laptop plugged in to power?

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 26, 2020 4:14 PM in response to JohnF123

Ok, from the apple menu, select about this mac, and then click on the system report button. That should launch the System Information application. At the bottom of the hardware list is USB. Select that. It will show you what is currently plugged into your USB ports. Plug in your usb to ethernet dongle and let us know if it shows up. Also, have you tried different USB ports on the laptop? And with your laptop plugged in to power?

Nov 26, 2020 8:56 PM in response to Paul Conaway

Adapter is J5create model jue130. It worked before I upgraded to Big Sur. Went to J5create website to get new driver and found this message "Attention macOS® 11 Big Sur users: j5create USB™ Display and USB™ Ethernet adapters are not currently compatible with macOS® Big Sur 11.

To avoid loss of functionality with the j5create USB™ Display and USB™ Ethernet adapters, we advise all Mac® users to delay updating to macOS® Big Sur 11."

When will it be compatible?

Nov 27, 2020 1:23 AM in response to maurine11

You can do nothing, except waiting and hoping for new drivers to be released.

Apple thinks we have to change our third party devices every year, think about usb wifi adapter.

Big sur is still a big mess and Apple is going to close more its os and hardware, several developers left Apple, so many troubles to make things compatible every year.

USB to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter won't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.