You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When will a workable HP Photosmart C6280 All-in-One Printer driver be available again for macOS Catalina?

Since a few days my Mac cannot communicate with my HP Photosmart C6280 printer anymore, rendering a 'malware alert' notification only. I'm told that this message appears in error due to an Apple software update gone awry. Any guess when this error will be fixed?

Thanks for your thoughts.

MacBook Pro 17″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 2:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 4:02 PM

Here is a link to the HP support page for your printer.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-photosmart-c6200-all-in-one-printer-series/3194493/model/3194497

This printer has not been supported by HP in Macs since Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

The last update for it was in 2014, see screenshots below.

But it looks like it was working until recently.

At the end of October HP asked Apple to revoke the software certificates for its printers

this affected almost everyone with an HP printer worldwide.

HP resolved the situation 2 days later.

Have a read of these articles,

If your HP printer doesn't work and you see a warning that HP software '...will damage your computer' - Apple Support

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06960563

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 26, 2020 4:02 PM in response to heimo32

Here is a link to the HP support page for your printer.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-photosmart-c6200-all-in-one-printer-series/3194493/model/3194497

This printer has not been supported by HP in Macs since Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

The last update for it was in 2014, see screenshots below.

But it looks like it was working until recently.

At the end of October HP asked Apple to revoke the software certificates for its printers

this affected almost everyone with an HP printer worldwide.

HP resolved the situation 2 days later.

Have a read of these articles,

If your HP printer doesn't work and you see a warning that HP software '...will damage your computer' - Apple Support

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06960563

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Nov 27, 2020 8:08 AM in response to Eau Rouge

The Above did not work for me, but did in a way.

The Cleanup tool works and removed the HP driver, trouble is there isn't a driver to download for the Photosmart C6280.

All is not lost though. Now that the uninstall Tool has been run, just go to Printers in settings. Click Minus to remove the printer. Then use Plus to add a printer. Choose the very same HP C6280 USB Printer. It installs the printer driver from apple, and Presto. It now has full functionality.

I had tried the remove and add trick previously when the problem first occurred, but it did not fix it. Think the Cleanup Tool made the difference, or the driver certificate has been reinstated when it downloads a new driver.

Well done HP and Apple for resolving this! My 15 year old Printer is still going strong. Happy Days

Thank you.

Gig Guide Pete

Dec 8, 2020 12:36 PM in response to dthietje

Mine stopped working when something was changed, something to do with certificates, making the HP software appear to be a virus.

When I got mine fixed finally, I just deleted the Printer with the minus (I’d tried installing it as a generic printer which was suggested elsewhere). With the printer connected via USB I added a printer using the + button and selected “photo smart USB Printer” or something like that. The printer installed itself with what it needed to run but without the HP shop or bloat ware.

i think someone must have reinstated the Drivers or certificates at Apple/HP

good luck

When will a workable HP Photosmart C6280 All-in-One Printer driver be available again for macOS Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.