You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

calendar invites and edits in Catalina

I just did a clean install of Catalina 10.15.6 coming from 10.14.6. Then it was upgraded to 10.15.7. Now that I am starting to use it I noticed several issues with Calendar. When I create a new event there is no way to invite anyone. Also I can’t edit a previous event, like change the title or the calendar type. If I do make a new event I can go to my iPhone and edit it and also invite someone.

I am a longtime Mac user (30+ years) but I can’t figure it out. I’m hoping someone can easily point out what to do.

P.S. I have already had to learn about the big change to iTunes and then the new System and Data volumes

thanks in advance,

Paul

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 27, 2020 5:33 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Dec 5, 2020 11:02 AM in response to admiral_koa

Hey there, Paul!

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand you're having some trouble inviting and editing events in Calendar on your Mac. We use this often and would like to help you get acquainted with the new Calendar app.

Here's an awesome Calendar User Guide that will include links to help guide you through the steps for inviting people to your calendar event as well as editing current events:

Calendar User Guide - Apple Support

Feel free to post an update for continued support.

All the best!

Dec 5, 2020 4:11 PM in response to admiral_koa

Thanks for the reply, Paul!

We see what you mean with the screenshots you sent! Thank you.

To better understand, please reply with the following details:

• Do you have any options when tapping "Add Notes, URL, or Attachments" or "Show"?
  • Is this a calendar that originated on your Mac, through your email address, or is this a calendar that was created by someone else?
  • If you create an event in another calendar on your Mac, does the same issue appear?

Cheers.

Dec 5, 2020 4:34 PM in response to jdo_apple

1. no other options in the very bottom section where the “Add Notes...” is contained
  2. these examples were all attempts in the MacOS Catalina Calendar app and I’ve tried varies calendars there that I created years ago and use almost daily.
  3. Yes, I have tried another calendar. My examples above show two different calendars, one is red and the other is brown. But I have two other at least.

thanks,

Paul

Dec 5, 2020 11:35 AM in response to jdo_apple

Wow! Someone has finally offered a suggestion.

Yes, I have read the article you reference. It's not that I don't know how to do it, unless Calendar has changed in Catalina in regards to creating invitations, because I have been doing it for years.

But my Calendar in Catalina does not allow it, nor even provide the space/option to perform it.

Look at this pic:

Do you see the "invite" option ?

Here is a pic from the article you referenced, although not at the same point of creating one but the invite field is the last of the middle section below 'alert'.

I tried asking Siri to do it and she starts to do it and then says:

My work around is to create the shell event in Catalina and go to my phone and update it or just create the whole thing on my iPhone.

I hope this describes better for you what is happening.

The other problem I find I have is being able to edit certain previously created calendar events for Mojave. But I won't try to explain those further right now.

Thanks for your interest.

Paul

Jan 8, 2021 8:53 PM in response to MoonJ.

I finally did contact Apple Support last week. We concluded that there must be something missing in the Catalina code that can not completely translate using multiple different color schemes (for lack of an official name - I will call them "sub calendars") from Mojave inside the main Calendar program. We finally discovered that since my default subcalendar was not "Home" I was prevented from inviting anyone to my calendar event. I also could not edit old such events or even edit the sub calendar chosen. But by changing my default back to "Home" I could 'invite' again. So I created a workaround. Finding that I can not merge any of my old made-up sub calendars I renamed them with some "* *" so that I would not use them again and then created new subcalendars. Any new sub calendars created in Catalina work just fine. So does "Home".

calendar invites and edits in Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.