You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spam Text Message

I received a text message from a number that was not in my contacts. They sent a request to play 8-Ball. I accidentally replied and my text was in blue, so I assumed this was an actual iPhone with an actual user. Is it possible for this to be a scam to possibly get information from my phone, or was this just a case of an accidental request? Also, are there any steps I can take to protect my phone if this was a scam attempt?

Posted on Nov 27, 2020 6:00 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Nov 27, 2020 7:55 PM in response to CJTaurus

From what you have described this was probably an accidental request. A text message, by itself, cannot get information out of your iPhone. Normally, you would be texted a link that you would click on and that would take you to a fake but authentic looking website and the purpose here would be to phish out your username and password. That attempt can only be successful if you enter the credentials. The scammer then captures that information and misuses it.

Back to you text message, you are fine because you did not click on a link. You simply ignored it. Thats the right thing to do.

Axel F.

Spam Text Message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.