You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand malfunction after update to High Sierra

Just updated my iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011) to High Sierra and it kills my GarageBand. Now it tells me:

"GarageBand quit unexpectedly." with the report included with additional text. I tried to reinstall it few times and AppStore seems to recognize that I do not have the latest OS and offer to download and install matching version, but after reinstallation I have same error.

GarageBand is important to me and this computer is dedicated to musical apps and was working flawlessly

until I updated it.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 6:41 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 7, 2020 7:48 AM in response to pmorozov

Hey there pmorozov,

We'd like to help get GarageBand working right on your Mac, so let's start ruling out some basics:

1. You tried a great step already with reinstalling it from the App Store, but we understand the issue remained. You also mentioned updating to macOS High Sierra, but please confirm which version number is installed. You can find this after clicking on the Apple logo near the top left corner of the screen, then on 'About This Mac'.
  2. Have you already tried a restart of your Mac? If not, check out the 'Restart' section here: Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac
  3. Any software updates showing ready to install? Check out the steps here: How to update the software on your Mac

We look forward to hearing back from you about these details, and take care!

Dec 7, 2020 8:15 AM in response to barberlives123

Hi, thank you for the answer!

Here is info about OS and computer:

Version: 10.13.6 (17G66)

iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011)

Procesor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Two displays and several USB devices: Behringer U-phoria, Studiologic MIDI keyboard and some others.

Yes, computer has been restarted.

There is one update for Safari hanging on, but nothing else. Will update after I finish some jobs, but I guess safari has nothing to do with functionality of GarageBand.

Thank you!

Dec 7, 2020 9:34 AM in response to pmorozov

Hello pmorozov,

No problem! We do recommend installing any and all software updates showing before continuing.

While you may need to check for any new updates(or even firmware updates) for your third-party accessories, let's hold off on that for now. Please disconnect any devices from your Mac(except for the power cable, mouse, and keyboard). Afterwards, restart your Mac, then let us know if the same issue occurs when opening GarageBand.

If you still have the same issue occur, the next step would be to get in touch with Apple Support here: Get Support

Have a good one!

GarageBand malfunction after update to High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.