You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview shows photos in random order

I have a folder of jpeg images that are numbered sequentially. They are displayed in Finder in the correct order. When I open the folder in Preview, the photos appear in random order in the sidebar and also when I try to show them using Slideshow. Is this a bug and/or is there a workaround?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 8:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 10:25 AM

Open the folder that has your ordered filenames in list view. Click the first file, press the shift key, and click the last file. All of the files will be selected. Now, right-click and open with Preview. They will open in name order, and retain this order left to right in the contact sheet too. Tested on M1 mini with Big Sur 11.0.1.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 30, 2020 10:25 AM in response to BWhitman

Open the folder that has your ordered filenames in list view. Click the first file, press the shift key, and click the last file. All of the files will be selected. Now, right-click and open with Preview. They will open in name order, and retain this order left to right in the contact sheet too. Tested on M1 mini with Big Sur 11.0.1.

Nov 30, 2020 10:15 AM in response to BWhitman

Howdy,

Preview appears to open files based on when the file was last opened, not based on the name of the file.

I numbered some files (testing with "1, 2, 3…" as well as "01, 02, 03…") and the filename didn't matter.

Opening them individually from 01 to 18 then reopening them all at once, for the most part, they opened in date opened sequence, oldest first, with the exception of the oldest opened file which always moved toward the bottom of the list.

Looking at the sequences, here's the files opened individually, lowest numbered to highest, viewing in the Finder sorted by date opened.

Selecting All and opening all at once in Preview it kept that order except for "01 Alias.png" which landed 3rd from the bottom.

I could manually move it to the top within Preview, but I found no way to keep the oldest opened file to stay at the top when opened.

Opening them first individually in reverse order yielded similar results.

Before opening in Preview.

The order they appeared opening all at once in Preview.

Again, within Preview, I can manually move "18" to the top as there is only one out of order, but still…"

I'm not seeing any setting anywhere that changes that open order.

ivan

Nov 30, 2020 10:31 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you VikingOSX,

You are correct. It will open in the sort order you select in list view. Looks like I needed more testing! :-)

I still see the weirdness where the 1st item is moved down if I open them with drag and drop onto the Preview Dock icon, but Right-Click and open with Preview works correctly every time.

Thanks again,

ivan

Preview shows photos in random order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.