You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Pages documents in recent iPad update

The recent update on my iPad did something to my Pages app which I could no longer open. I could see some of my older files and not others. When I tried to reinstall the app I was told I needed an older version which I agreed to. This resulted in the files disappearing. It seems they were somehow linked to the original app and were not on iCloud. Newer documents are on iCloud. It’s a sob story but I have had cancer and I kept a diary of all my treatments and thoughts feelings etc. Luckily, last year I emailed a copy to my computer but the last 12 months of entries were only on the file that seems to have disappeared. Please please is there anything I can do to find it on my iPad?

iPad mini, iOS 12

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 2:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 5:47 PM

PiggyPudcombe Said:

"Lost Pages documents in recent iPad update: The recent update on my iPad did something to my Pages app which I could no longer open. [...]I emailed a copy to my computer but the last 12 months of entries were only on the file that seems to have disappeared. Please please is there anything I can do to find it on my iPad?"

-------

A. Take this as a Learning Experience:

Backup First: Always know to make a backup of your iPad prior to upgrading. That way you can have something to restore your iPad from, should anything go wrong with the update installation (which is what seeming happened here).

B. Do you have a Backup?:

As for following through with a recovery, note that there is no Migration Assistant for an iPad. So, you would have used iCloud or your Computer to back this up.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 1, 2020 5:47 PM in response to Community User

PiggyPudcombe Said:

"Lost Pages documents in recent iPad update: The recent update on my iPad did something to my Pages app which I could no longer open. [...]I emailed a copy to my computer but the last 12 months of entries were only on the file that seems to have disappeared. Please please is there anything I can do to find it on my iPad?"

-------

A. Take this as a Learning Experience:

Backup First: Always know to make a backup of your iPad prior to upgrading. That way you can have something to restore your iPad from, should anything go wrong with the update installation (which is what seeming happened here).

B. Do you have a Backup?:

As for following through with a recovery, note that there is no Migration Assistant for an iPad. So, you would have used iCloud or your Computer to back this up.

Dec 1, 2020 8:33 PM in response to Community User

PiggyPudcombe Said:

"Lost Pages documents in recent iPad update: Thank you. It’s very depressing to have lost something so precious. I thought it was backing up to iCloud. I’ve learned a lesson.

———-

No worries. It happens to the most of us, I’m most I’m sure. Check a Flash Drive, and eMails, and Trash. It might reside in there. :)

Dec 1, 2020 7:50 PM in response to TheLittles

Thank you. It’s very depressing to have lost something so precious. I thought it was backing up to iCloud. I’ve learned a lesson. 😔

Lost Pages documents in recent iPad update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.