You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't boot external drive with Intel-based Big Sur on a new M1

Got a new M1 Mac Mini. I keep my macOS on an external drive so I can move it between machines. It has been updated to the latest version of Big Sur on an iMac Pro. However, I can't boot into it from the new M1 Mac Mini. I get an error saying macOS needs to be reinstalled. So I try that, and halfway through I get an error saying ownership for the volume could not be established.

Is it not possible to boot an Intel-based Big Sur installation from an external drive on an M1 Mac or do an upgrade-in-place to fix it? Must I use Migration Assistant or restore from a Time Machine backup because the processor is different?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 3:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 7:04 AM

It makes sense that you can't boot an Intel OS on

an M1 machine. Even though they are both the

same macOS version, the code for each is totally

different and cannot be run.

The Rosetta 2 is only used within an M1 macOS to use

Intel apps.

Similar questions

12 replies

Dec 1, 2020 8:46 AM in response to woodmeister50

Hello

I've been having the same problem:

Got a MBA M1 last week and have tried many ways to create an external boot drive that will work, testing both my new M1 and using another non-M1 Big Sur Mac(2018 Mac Mini) to create an external boot drive.

Here's what I've found after dozens of attempts:

• The M1 will not consistently create a bootable external boot drive on the M1. Probably less than 25% of attempts at creating such a drive are successful. I have tried multiple times at creating a drive using both Recovery mode Disk Utility to format/erase drive then install Big Sur, and/or using a USB stick install Big Sur method.
  • If one tries to install Big Sur on a APFS encrypted drive, the OS will install but the drive is never visible to select as the Startup Disk.
  • If successful in installing Big Sur on a APFS non-encrypted external drive, rebooting on that drive, and then turning on Filevault, the drive will not work as as bootable Startup Disk on next restart.
  • I have tried many ways to create a bootable external drive using my non-M1 Big Sur Mac and I thought I was successful in getting the drive to be bootable on my M1 last week on one or two attempts. The last few days, however, I haven't been successful. There's now been so many attempts that my memory is fizzy and I might be wrong in thinking I was ever successful using a non-M1.

Dec 9, 2020 8:44 AM in response to babowa

Yes I have checked into this extensively, buying both the M1 Mac Mini and the M1 MacBook Pro and experimenting with different drives.

YOU CANNOT CLONE AN M1 BIG SUR SYSTEM DRIVE.

You can install M1 Big Sur on an external drive if you find the right one, but I have not yet been successful. This is NOT the same thing as cloning, which not even Recovery can do in Disk Utility as of now. Nor can Carbon Copy Cloner.

The Startup Security Utility within Recovery that used to allow you to disable or enable booting from an external drive no longer provides this option, nor does it provide the ability to turn on or off a firmware password. I have attached a screenshot of the available options.

This screen is only visible AFTER you choose a drive with macOS 11 installed on it, so the options only apply to that particular drive, not the computer itself as was done previously.

In the case of a failed macOS installation on an external drive, that drive will appear as a boot option, but you will not be able to boot from it or modify its security settings.

Dec 8, 2020 11:49 AM in response to Craig Cowgill

Turning on File Vault on an external drive that one wants bootable

seems questionable at best on any system.

Assuming you made the proper adjustments to the Security Settings in

booting into Recovery, have you also tried disabling SIP in terminal

(csrutil disable).

Also, have you updated to macOS 11.01? The original 11.0 shipped on

M1 Macs was creating all manner of issues in re-installing macOS and

11.0.1 was meant to resolve that.

Dec 8, 2020 4:43 PM in response to ChromePlanet

babowa is correct. I have done this several times. You need to turn off the security settings in recovery from the top menu bar pull down menu that lists boot permissions. That being said even if that is done you may still find that you cannot make a boot drive. I have cloned the data volume to my external drive using CCC. Then from recovery installed Big Sur to that drive. That works but not with all drives. I have done this on 6 different SSD drives.. Some work and some only work 50% of the time (reinstall 2-3 times before it took) for some reason. I have only had 100% success using a WD M.2 drive in a TB3 enclosure. The process of installing Big Sur requires the Mac to reboot 2-3 times in the process so it appears the SSD design is critical. It should not be this way but it is for now until Apple makes a revision.

Dec 9, 2020 8:48 AM in response to ChromePlanet

I should note that the subject of this thread is no longer relevant as we are discussing the ability to install M1 macOS 11 on external drives, not the ability to boot an existing Intel-based Big Sur installation from an external drive on an M1 Mac. That will NEVER be possible as macOS can only run on either Intel or M1, depending on which version you are using, but not both.

can't boot external drive with Intel-based Big Sur on a new M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.