You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Not Recognizing my iPhone

How do I get my iTunes to recognize my iPhone. I have done everything under the sun and it still won't connect. My phone connects to my computer (it charges), but iTunes doesn't do anything.

Thanks!

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 5:26 PM

3 replies

Dec 8, 2020 12:28 PM in response to SOS_Help_Me

Hello SOS_Help_Me,

It sounds like you need some help syncing your device with your Mac. We will be happy to help.

First, can you tell us which operating system you're using on your Mac? If you're using macOS Mojave or earlier than you would indeed use iTunes.

Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer

If you're using macOS Catalina or Big Sur, then you'd want to look in Finder: Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer

If your Mac still doesn't connect after trying these steps, then have a look at this article: If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

We hope this helps!

Cheers!

Dec 8, 2020 2:19 PM in response to Jeff_W.

I have a similar problem, but with specific computers: My wife and I just bought iPhone 12 Pros, and wish to use iTunes to sync with our computers. The computers are iMacs - one from 2010 and the other from 2011. Photos recognized the new phones; iTunes did not. We had been running OS El Capitan. Apple phone support agents told us that an OS update to High Sierra 10.13... would give us an iTunes version that was compatible with the new phones. They were unable to find a download for me, so I had a local authorized repair shop update us both to High Sierra; I have also installed available security updates. iTunes still does not recognize iPhone 12 Pro. Any tweaks I need to perform? Any alternative ways of syncing phones to computers? (It works fine on my much newer Macbook, by the way.) Thanks for any advice.

Dec 10, 2020 1:22 PM in response to emsny

You will need iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better. Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

tt2

iTunes Not Recognizing my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.