You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MacBook Pro windows are unresponsive after sleeping overnight

I'm running Big Sur 11.0.1 (20B29). After letting my M1 MBP sleep overnight (and connected to an external monitor via a dongle), all of the apps are unresponsive. Here what I can and cannot do:

What I cannot do:

• Click anything inside the windows (basically, cannot interact with anything in the app)
  • Type anything in any of the apps. Clicking the search bar in Safari doesn't do anything

What I can do:

• Click the red close window button for each app (although it does not actually quit the app)
  • Scroll up and down in each app
  • Right click the dock icons and quit the app
  • Somehow, double clicking some icons will quickly perform a double click on those icons, but they often don't help because I only want to single click an icon e.g. a drop down icon becomes expanded and collapsed again

Despite what I can do, it's quite useless because the keyboard can't type anything. This applies to both native Apple Silicon and Intel apps. I would just hard reset my Mac and everything is back to normal, but this usually doesn't happen on my Intel MBP. Any idea what causes this unresponsiveness?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 9:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 9:51 AM

billy_andika wrote:

• I'm running Big Sur 11.0.1 (20B29). After letting my M1 MBP sleep overnight (and connected to an external monitor via a dongle), all of the apps are unresponsive. Here what I can and cannot do:

What I cannot do:
Click anything inside the windows (basically, cannot interact with anything in the app)
• Type anything in any of the apps. Clicking the search bar in Safari doesn't do anything
What I can do:
Click the red close window button for each app (although it does not actually quit the app)
• Somehow, double clicking some icons will quickly perform a double click on those icons, but they often don't help because I only want to single click an icon e.g. a drop down icon becomes expanded and collapsed again

Despite what I can do, it's quite useless because the keyboard can't type anything. This applies to both native Apple Silicon and Intel apps. I would just hard reset my Mac and everything is back to normal, but this usually doesn't happen on my Intel MBP. Any idea what causes this unresponsiveness?

Here is a long shot—

try disabling Powernap in both Battery/Power adapter in >System Preferences>Battery

report back your succes or failure here after testing.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 2, 2020 9:51 AM in response to billy_andika

billy_andika wrote:

• I'm running Big Sur 11.0.1 (20B29). After letting my M1 MBP sleep overnight (and connected to an external monitor via a dongle), all of the apps are unresponsive. Here what I can and cannot do:

What I cannot do:
Click anything inside the windows (basically, cannot interact with anything in the app)
What I can do:
Click the red close window button for each app (although it does not actually quit the app)

Here is a long shot—

try disabling Powernap in both Battery/Power adapter in >System Preferences>Battery

report back your succes or failure here after testing.

Dec 8, 2020 12:12 PM in response to billy_andika

billy_andika wrote:

Thank you! Marked as resolved now. So far so good after a few days of testing and I have not seen the problem again. It's a strange thing that it caused the problem, I think Apple should definitely look into it.

Thanks for the feed back billy_andika.

You can file a bug report—Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Dec 3, 2020 9:49 AM in response to billy_andika

billy_andika wrote:

It's working great the next day! Will test this for a few more days to make sure it's not just a fluke! I think it's a legit bug if Wake for Network Access freezes all apps the next day.

Thanks for the report billy_andika —I will look forward to your follow up after your further test.

So far sounds promising !

M1 MacBook Pro windows are unresponsive after sleeping overnight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.