You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I open and edit project completed with iMovie that has been finalized and the source file for that iMovie is not in iMovie folder.

Can I open and edit project (using finalcut pro) that was completed with iMovie that has been finalized.

I like to go back to finished iMovie project to add more titles or remove some frames.

imovie can not open or edit a project that is already finalized.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 11:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 12:07 PM

A finalized (exported out) project is a standalone movie. All clips have been joined and all edits have been embedded. In iMovie you can create a new project and import into it the previously exported movie. It will come in as one long clip. You can then edit it to a limited extent, such as splitting the clip into segments, adding effects, adding titles, adding more clips, deleting segments or parts of segments, and cropping segments. However, you cannot un-embed edits that were previously done in the original project unless you can cut them out (such as deleting a title that is on a black background), or trim them out.

If the original project is still operable, you can re-edit it and share it out again. However, this would not be possible if the source files have been deleted from the iMovie library.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 2, 2020 12:07 PM in response to Jrbindas

A finalized (exported out) project is a standalone movie. All clips have been joined and all edits have been embedded. In iMovie you can create a new project and import into it the previously exported movie. It will come in as one long clip. You can then edit it to a limited extent, such as splitting the clip into segments, adding effects, adding titles, adding more clips, deleting segments or parts of segments, and cropping segments. However, you cannot un-embed edits that were previously done in the original project unless you can cut them out (such as deleting a title that is on a black background), or trim them out.

If the original project is still operable, you can re-edit it and share it out again. However, this would not be possible if the source files have been deleted from the iMovie library.

-- Rich

Can I open and edit project completed with iMovie that has been finalized and the source file for that iMovie is not in iMovie folder.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.