You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deciphering winmail.dat attachments?

Using Apple Mail, looking for a way to decipher Outlook emails that arrive with Winmail.dat attachments. Occurs when someone sends me an email from Outlook using some specific format, like Rich Text. How do I easily fix it or convert it on my end?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 12:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 2:28 PM

There is a tool in the Mac App Store named TNEF's Enough, that will allow you to handle these Winmail.dat attachments. If you know that one of these should be a PDF, then you can save the attachment as winmail.pdf, and you should be able to view it in Preview.

These Winmail.dat attachments are the fruit of a wrongly configured Exchange server, not that of macOS, or Apple Mail.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 3, 2020 2:28 PM in response to BigDaddySCo

There is a tool in the Mac App Store named TNEF's Enough, that will allow you to handle these Winmail.dat attachments. If you know that one of these should be a PDF, then you can save the attachment as winmail.pdf, and you should be able to view it in Preview.

These Winmail.dat attachments are the fruit of a wrongly configured Exchange server, not that of macOS, or Apple Mail.

Deciphering winmail.dat attachments?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.