You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 first time charge

Hi,

I have seen a lot of tips and rumours about iPhone batteries and the charge process.

I am due to receive my iPhone 12 and wondered what the best recommendations are regarding charging the device.... Do I just use it straight away or should I firstly charge it to 100%? Is it best to completely drain the battery when I receive it before charging then charge to 100%?

I appreciate any tips/advice!

Thanks!

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 6:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 6:55 PM

There is no requirement to charge to any specific percentage.

You can charge at anytime, for any amount of time.

You can use it while charging.

You can leave it attached to the charge circuit after the battery reaches 100%.

Do NOT repeatedly deplete the battery to low levels.

3 replies

Dec 5, 2020 6:57 PM in response to AndyJackson2

you should NEVER completely drain the battery. In fact, don't ever let it go below 15-20% if you can help it.

when you first get your phone, I'm guessing it'll be charged somewhere between 50-80%. Just start using it. If you are transferring content from another iPhone, probably plug it to charge during that process.

Here are some reading materials that may help

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

When to charge your iPhone or iPad - Apple Community

note that these recommendations aren't special to iPhones, they are for lithium batteries in general

iPhone 12 first time charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.