You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Home Sharing

I have iTunes (with Home Sharing enabled) on a 2012 MacBook Air running OS X Sierra.  My iTunes media is on a USB external drive connected to the 2012 MBA.  My iPads (Pro and Mini 5) and my Apple TV box all find Home Sharing with no issues through their respective Apple TV apps.

The problem: My 2020 M1 MBA (running MacOS Big Sur) does not show my Home Sharing movie or TV library in its Apple TV app.  (Neither will the M1 MBA connect to my iCloud Drive, but I suspect that’s another issue.)

What am I missing?  As far as I can tell, Big Sur has no Home Sharing function similar to prior OS X versions, so how do I get Big Sur to see the iTunes media library?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 12:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 5:06 PM

Greetings Sherman1610,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We're glad you're here! Thanks for your post, and your patronage over the years. It will be our pleasure to assist you.

1. Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences.
    2. Click Sharing.
    3. Click Media Sharing.
    4. Select Home Sharing and sign in with your Apple ID. Use the same Apple ID for every computer or device on your Home Sharing network.
    5. Click Turn On Home Sharing.
  • Tap here to view the macOS User Guide tips for setting up iCloud Drive options on your new Mac.

We trust these tips resolve both of these issues for you. Let us know if you have any questions.

All the best!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 11, 2020 5:06 PM in response to Sherman1610

Greetings Sherman1610,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We're glad you're here! Thanks for your post, and your patronage over the years. It will be our pleasure to assist you.

1. Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences.
    2. Click Sharing.
    3. Click Media Sharing.
    4. Select Home Sharing and sign in with your Apple ID. Use the same Apple ID for every computer or device on your Home Sharing network.
    5. Click Turn On Home Sharing.
  • Tap here to view the macOS User Guide tips for setting up iCloud Drive options on your new Mac.

We trust these tips resolve both of these issues for you. Let us know if you have any questions.

All the best!

Big Sur Home Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.