You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

esim

Hi, Can i put an esim in my iphone xs max and then put my current normal sim from my iphine into my ipad pro? is that how esim works?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 5:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 3:29 PM

eSIM is an embedded SIM - its a component integral to the logic board of the device where your subscriber information can be held. eSIM is entirely independent of the SIM tray into which a physical Carrier SIM card can be inserted.

Some Cellular Carriers can electronically provision (i.e., configure) your Cellular details directly to an eSIM; not all Carriers or regions support this feature.

For iPhone, eSIM allows you to have two telephone numbers, one each from different Carriers - perhaps separate contracts/numbers for private and business use. Alternatively, it can be useful to use the physical SIM slot when travelling to other regions or countries - therefore allowing you to easily set-up a temporary (or Pay As You Go) contract for temporary use when away from home.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 7, 2020 3:29 PM in response to RYANNNN91

eSIM is an embedded SIM - its a component integral to the logic board of the device where your subscriber information can be held. eSIM is entirely independent of the SIM tray into which a physical Carrier SIM card can be inserted.

Some Cellular Carriers can electronically provision (i.e., configure) your Cellular details directly to an eSIM; not all Carriers or regions support this feature.

For iPhone, eSIM allows you to have two telephone numbers, one each from different Carriers - perhaps separate contracts/numbers for private and business use. Alternatively, it can be useful to use the physical SIM slot when travelling to other regions or countries - therefore allowing you to easily set-up a temporary (or Pay As You Go) contract for temporary use when away from home.

esim

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.