You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New M1 Macbook Pro locked spontaneously and will not unlock

I was working away on my new Macbook Pro, using both mouse and keyboard pretty constantly, when the screen suddenly locked.

I thought "Interesting glitch", and I entered my password to unlock the screen.

It accepted my password, but the screensaver is still running. I can move the cursor around the screen, and it seems to be accepting keyboard input, but all I see is the screensaver.

The first time I pressed the "Mission Control" button on my keyboard, I was able to see my screen again,

but whatever my next move was put me back at the screensaver and that button no longer has any effect.

I'll force a shutdown, and am sure it will be fine after that, but I want to get this information out there.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 10:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 9:25 AM

Boylel wrote:

I was working away on my new Macbook Pro, using both mouse and keyboard pretty constantly, when the screen suddenly locked.
It accepted my password, but the screensaver is still running. I can move the cursor around the screen, and it seems to be accepting keyboard input, but all I see is the screensaver.
The first time I pressed the "Mission Control" button on my keyboard, I was able to see my screen again,
but whatever my next move was put me back at the screensaver and that button no longer has any effect.

I'll force a shutdown, and am sure it will be fine after that, but I want to get this information out there.

You can file a bug report here—Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 31, 2020 9:25 AM in response to Boylel

Boylel wrote:

You can file a bug report here—Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

New M1 Macbook Pro locked spontaneously and will not unlock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.