You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing iCloud Photos from Single Device

I was setting up my new MacBook and it looks likes iCloud Photos was enabled.

The MacBook downloaded a bunch of photos on to the local hard drive that I didn’t want there.

How I can I remove the photos on the MacBook without losing them on my other devices where I would like to keep them.

Thanks

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 12:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 8:43 AM

re: So after I turn off iCloud photos on my MacBook can I delete the photos on my MacBook with them being erased on other devices? -- yes

re: What happens if I turn iCloud photos back on a few months from now? Will the photos I deleted now, be erased on all devices with iCloud photos turned on? -- No; photos on the Mac will sync to the other devices and the other devices will sync to the Mac (note that I have not personally tested that)

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 8, 2020 8:43 AM in response to Detox9999

re: So after I turn off iCloud photos on my MacBook can I delete the photos on my MacBook with them being erased on other devices? -- yes

re: What happens if I turn iCloud photos back on a few months from now? Will the photos I deleted now, be erased on all devices with iCloud photos turned on? -- No; photos on the Mac will sync to the other devices and the other devices will sync to the Mac (note that I have not personally tested that)

Removing iCloud Photos from Single Device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.