You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to erase my old Macbook Air which is on OS X ElCapitan software. For some reason when I click on Utility Disk Macintosh HD it doesn't allow me to hit erase.

trying to erase my old Macbook Air which is on OS X ElCapitan software. For some reason I am unable to click the erase button when I pull up Macintosh HD.

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 11:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 12:08 PM

You might be trying to erase the drive you booted from - and that's not possible; it's like trying to move a step ladder while you're on the top step.

If you boot from Internet Recovery (Command-Opt-R on startup) it might work as you'll be booting from a RAM disk instead.

1 reply

I am trying to erase my old Macbook Air which is on OS X ElCapitan software. For some reason when I click on Utility Disk Macintosh HD it doesn't allow me to hit erase.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.