You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Applications won’t open after downgrading

I recently updated from Mojave to Catalina but decided that I didn’t like Catalina so i decided to downgrade. I backed my files up with Time Machine. After I reinstalled Mojave and added my old files back, I can’t open certain apps such as Safari, App Store, or QuickTime. but when I used another account (like the Guest account) everything works perfectly.

MacBook

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 12:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 12:38 AM

Did you use Time Machine to retsore your files, did you also restore your apps,

if so this would have restored the Catalina versions of the apps which will not run on Mojave.

If you used Migration Assistant to restore your files and apps the same thing will have happened.

Similar questions

10 replies

Dec 10, 2020 5:52 PM in response to kristindemetria

So it sounds like when you rolled things back some of the 'permissions' didn't copy over correctly. At this point Id say you're going to need to reset the permissions on the account. Link below to an article how to do so. Just remember in Mojave you will need to grant Full Disk access to Terminal. Its there in the article, just be ware of this extra step.

One thing you might want to do prior is to copy one of the broken apps to say the desktop then try and open it up there. If its a permissions problem it will be corrected when the copy is performed. Problem is that because of Apple's System Integrity Protection you won't be able to copy the 'fixed' app back into the Applications folder while the OS is running.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/mac-disk-permissions-repair/

Applications won’t open after downgrading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.