You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screensaver randomly coming on

2020 Mac mini M1. The screen saver has been randomly coming on. Moving the mouse or pressing a key does nothing. I can see the cursor moving around so I know that that input is still working. The few times it has happened so far I’ve had to hold the power button in to shut it down and restart. I have disabled screen saver in system settings. I’m wondering if this is a bug with Big Sur.

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 6:29 AM

Similar questions

12 replies

Dec 21, 2020 10:05 AM in response to fusionlore77

That's happened to me a few times, too. Same deal: screensaver is set to off but it suddenly comes on anyway, no clicking or typing will wake it. But I found that if I close and reopen the lid it'll go away, no need for a force restart!

[EDIT: Sorry, I missed the bit that you're on a Mac Mini, so the lid trick is not an option for you. I'm on an M1 MBP.]

Jan 10, 2021 10:25 AM in response to MyApple8MyPC

I am having the exact same issue - using a new Apple mini M1 running Big Sur 11.1, - I have found as a work around touch the power button to send the Mac mini to sleep and then once its sleeping - wake up and it gets you back in, that at least avoids a force restart. Seems to be getting worse so have logged an apple support case

Jan 16, 2021 7:22 AM in response to GFH1

I'm having this too and found that sometimes pressing power doesn't work either - so my workaround is to press CTRL+SHIFT+EJECT

Seems to work.

I think it's something to do with fast user switching, I have two profiles set and switch between them, the screensaver seems to come on within the primary profile, even though I don't have a screensaver set.

Screensaver randomly coming on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.