You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac os opens everything on startup, not just the windows that were open during shutdown.

Why is it that Mac OS X (Big Sur, but everything else too) on reboot, with the reopen windows option selected, opens absolutely everything? It's more than a little annoying now that I have to go and personally clean up everything, only to have it all come back again the next day. and the day after that, etc...

Mac Pro, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 9:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 11:39 AM

Hi all,

thanks for the timely replies.

I'll try to cover all of the points here:

1. Mac os is opening Applications on restart, that have been quit. Not had their windows closed... quit. These applications were quit, at restart, because... Mac OS Keeps launching these apps at restart. This is Not how the documentation describes the feature, so... typing out how the feature is supposed to work, is unfortunately... not helpful in my case.
  2. I guess I could disable the feature, it really isn't that very hard as pointed out by VikingOSX. I want the feature. I just need it to work as advertised. A feature that doesn't work, is not a feature, it's a bug.
  3. I am well versed of the ins/outs of Mac OS X, memory allocation, window behaviors, etc... I've been doing this for some time. No need to get into the mechanics.

maybe I was not clear in the op. Simply put: with the "reopen windows" option checked, my system, on restart, is reopening many more applications than were open, when it was shut down.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 12, 2020 11:39 AM in response to Edward Devlin1

Hi all,

thanks for the timely replies.

I'll try to cover all of the points here:

1. Mac os is opening Applications on restart, that have been quit. Not had their windows closed... quit. These applications were quit, at restart, because... Mac OS Keeps launching these apps at restart. This is Not how the documentation describes the feature, so... typing out how the feature is supposed to work, is unfortunately... not helpful in my case.
  2. I guess I could disable the feature, it really isn't that very hard as pointed out by VikingOSX. I want the feature. I just need it to work as advertised. A feature that doesn't work, is not a feature, it's a bug.
  3. I am well versed of the ins/outs of Mac OS X, memory allocation, window behaviors, etc... I've been doing this for some time. No need to get into the mechanics.

maybe I was not clear in the op. Simply put: with the "reopen windows" option checked, my system, on restart, is reopening many more applications than were open, when it was shut down.

Dec 12, 2020 10:01 AM in response to Edward Devlin1

If you select to re-open apps on restart, it opens all apps that are not actually quit.

Some apps quit memory on closing and some don’t. If you set the Dock to show apps in memory, you can see which ones are not quit and will re-open. If you want to quit these, do so using their contextual menu “quit” from the Dock.

I agree that all apps should quit memory when closed normally.

Dec 12, 2020 10:42 AM in response to Edward Devlin1

What is preventing you from deselecting the restart, shutdown, and logout dialog checkboxes to reopen windows when logging back in. You only need to do this just once for each. Then in the System Preferences : General panel, select Close windows when quitting an application, and then actually using the formal quit. Also, not all applications are written to quit the application when clicking the red close button on the document title bar.

mac os opens everything on startup, not just the windows that were open during shutdown.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.