You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I transfer just selected files/apps. There are years of outdated/mystery apps, exts, etc. that I don't want.

How can I transfer only selected files/apps from my MacBook Pro to my new MacBook Air. There are years of outdated and/or mystery apps, exts, etc, that I don't want.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 5:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 6:41 PM

You can use Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant to migrate just your user folder(s). Unfortunately I don't believe you can selectively transfer apps. If you are running an older version of macOS, then those apps may not be compatible with the OS on your new Mac in which case you do not want those apps transferred.

If you want even finer grain control, then you can put the old Mac into Target Disk Mode and connect it to the new Mac so the old Mac shows up as an external drive. Or you can enable File Sharing on the old Mac. Or you can use an external USB3 drive. With all of these methods you just manually locate the files you want to save and copy them over to the USB drive or to your new Mac.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 13, 2020 6:41 PM in response to Rio2211

You can use Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant to migrate just your user folder(s). Unfortunately I don't believe you can selectively transfer apps. If you are running an older version of macOS, then those apps may not be compatible with the OS on your new Mac in which case you do not want those apps transferred.

If you want even finer grain control, then you can put the old Mac into Target Disk Mode and connect it to the new Mac so the old Mac shows up as an external drive. Or you can enable File Sharing on the old Mac. Or you can use an external USB3 drive. With all of these methods you just manually locate the files you want to save and copy them over to the USB drive or to your new Mac.

How can I transfer just selected files/apps. There are years of outdated/mystery apps, exts, etc. that I don't want.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.