You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My time machine never gets beyond preparing backup....

Ever since installing Big Sur, my Time Machine has been abnormal. Specifically, the initiating a backup dialog box says, “Preparing backup,” but it never starts the backup. Never.

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 5:28 AM

9 replies

Dec 14, 2020 5:37 AM in response to John Galt

I have been waiting three hours. This happens even though I last backed it up three days ago. time Machine is quick if you continually have the external drive connected and have checked backup automatically. However, if I disconnect (safely) the external drive and try a Time Machine a couple of days later, this always happens. I never had this issue with extended journal backups

Dec 14, 2020 6:21 AM in response to Keith E Kennedy

The symptoms you describe are all consistent with drive failure. Buy another backup drive and add it to Time Machine. It will back up to as many backup drives as you provide.

At your option reformat the 5 TB drive and dedicate the entire drive to Time Machine backups. A catastrophic failure can render all partitions useless. Reformatting will delay that eventual outcome, but it may be a year or more before it happens again. Or, it may happen tomorrow.

My time machine never gets beyond preparing backup....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.