You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS 10.15.7 update will not let me boot from my external startup drive.

I have been using a Samsung T5 external SSD successfully for a few months now and what a difference it has made to the speed of my late 2013 27” iMac. From hitting return on my user password it takes 3, yes 3 seconds to finish booting.

Since the 10.15.7 update a few days ago it will not boot from the external drive. I can view the external drive in finder, I can select it as a startup disk in system preferences, System Preferences tells me I have selected it but it boots from the internal hard drive. And it’s so slow!

When I hold the Option key down at startup the external drive is not listed. Only the Macintosh HD. It’s like the startup sequence waits for a while, can’t find something on the external drive, the says oh well I’ll use the hard drive to startup.

Any ideas?

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 9:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 1:18 AM

Have a look here, there's a discussion already:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252177156

Maybe one of the hints there work for you, it seems there's no real fix, yet.

Similar questions

2 replies

macOS 10.15.7 update will not let me boot from my external startup drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.