You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disconnecting 2 iPads that share data.

I have 2 iPads and an Apple phone that share info, they seem to be in sync with each other. For instance, when one takes a picture it automatically is on the other iPad and phone. I want to give 1 iPad to my daughter and do not want them connected anymore. If I do a reset that will delete the data on the iPad will that also delete the info off my iPad and phone?

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 11:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 7:02 AM

You are clearly sharing an AppleID. This practice is not recommended. Sharing an AppleID between users is not advisable; each User should have their own AppleID - and this should be used with their own devices only.

You and your daughter should not be using the same AppleID - as doing so will result in unwanted information sharing, privacy issues and potential AppleID account lockout. It follows that your Photo’s (and other personal information) and Keychain will potentially be visible and/or synchronise with devices that use your personal AppleID.

By far the best approach for the iPad itself is to properly prepare it for use exclusively by your daughter:

What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

After separating your daughter from your own AppleID, you might consider using the Family Sharing features to selectively share paid Apple services, Apps, Subscriptions and Media:

https://www.apple.com/family-sharing/

Set up Family Sharing – Apple Support

Share App Store, iTunes Store and Apple Books purchases with Family Sharing – Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 18, 2020 7:02 AM in response to Mimini

You are clearly sharing an AppleID. This practice is not recommended. Sharing an AppleID between users is not advisable; each User should have their own AppleID - and this should be used with their own devices only.

You and your daughter should not be using the same AppleID - as doing so will result in unwanted information sharing, privacy issues and potential AppleID account lockout. It follows that your Photo’s (and other personal information) and Keychain will potentially be visible and/or synchronise with devices that use your personal AppleID.

By far the best approach for the iPad itself is to properly prepare it for use exclusively by your daughter:

What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

After separating your daughter from your own AppleID, you might consider using the Family Sharing features to selectively share paid Apple services, Apps, Subscriptions and Media:

https://www.apple.com/family-sharing/

Set up Family Sharing – Apple Support

Share App Store, iTunes Store and Apple Books purchases with Family Sharing – Apple Support

Disconnecting 2 iPads that share data.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.