You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TimeMachine estimated size of full backup

I have a test partition on a 500GB HDD running High Sierra and I thought it would be a good idea to have a backup. The HDD has 340GB free space and as such only 160GB is used. And I have a small 300GB HDD that I would use, but TimeMachine tells me "not enough capacity" and I can see that it calculates the size for a full backup of the 160GB to be 809GB!!!!

My Mac has a 1TB HDD and is using 648GB and here Time Machine calculates the size for a full backup to be - yes you're right - 648GB.

So what am I missing? Can anyone explain this?

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 8:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 2:21 PM

Spot on. If you boot from an external HDD and run Time Machine, then Time Machine will default include your internal HDD. So you'll have to exclude it in "Options".

4 replies

TimeMachine estimated size of full backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.