You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need quick keyboard key repeat rate - not special character pop-up

I have set in System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard 'Key Repeat' to 'Fast'.

All I get is fast deleting when I press the Backspace key. None of the letter keys repeat when I hold their key pressed on my keyboard. Only the punctuation / symbol keys repeat. Oh, and the Spacebar and Backspace / Delete keys as well as arrow keys. Not even the number keys repeat (in the numeric keypad).

I am aware of Terminal commands to fix this. Is there no setting within the System Prefs to address this, or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks everyone!

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 8:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 4:28 AM

Alex Zachopoulos wrote:

I am aware of Terminal commands to fix this. Is there no setting within the System Prefs to address this

Not as far as I know. MacOS has popup accent menus instead of repeat by default when you hold down a key since about 10 years ago. To ask Apple to add the feature you want, you can use

http://www.apple.com/feedback

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 20, 2020 4:28 AM in response to Alex Zachopoulos

Alex Zachopoulos wrote:

I am aware of Terminal commands to fix this. Is there no setting within the System Prefs to address this

Not as far as I know. MacOS has popup accent menus instead of repeat by default when you hold down a key since about 10 years ago. To ask Apple to add the feature you want, you can use

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Need quick keyboard key repeat rate - not special character pop-up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.