You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After clean installation of MacOS Big Sur, 2 Volumes appeared that I did not create on my SSD. (I explain)

First of all, excuse my English I am Brazilian. Yesterday I restored my MacMini 2014, formatting the SSD using the "Disk Utility" deleting all volumes, leaving only one called "Macintosh SSD". I followed the installation that went well, everything is working perfectly. But when I enter the "Disk Utility" I see 3 volumes (Photo) inside the Macintosh SSD, the one with the giant name appeared, and another one called Macintosh SSD - Data Could someone explain or point me to an article that I can read about? I didn't understand why these two volumes were created, mainly the giant name "com.apple.os.update-5523D ..." Would it be possible to rename and put a more friendly, less strange name? Thanks.

Mac mini, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 4:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 6:27 PM

Those are normal.

The drive is split into an OS volume mounted read-only and a Data volume with all of your stuff.

The item you have highlighted is a secure snapshot of the OS and is dynamically created.

No, you can't rename it and it doesn't appear anywhere but in Disk Utility, so I'm not sure why it needs a friendly name.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 19, 2020 6:27 PM in response to rak1ras

Those are normal.

The drive is split into an OS volume mounted read-only and a Data volume with all of your stuff.

The item you have highlighted is a secure snapshot of the OS and is dynamically created.

No, you can't rename it and it doesn't appear anywhere but in Disk Utility, so I'm not sure why it needs a friendly name.

After clean installation of MacOS Big Sur, 2 Volumes appeared that I did not create on my SSD. (I explain)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.