You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migration assistant did not transfer password

I just purchased a new Macbook Air.

Migration assistant did its job from my old Mac Air but when I try to get into the new machine the password is not working.

The right user ID is coming up on the login screen and I know the password is correct as I can still log into the old computer with it.

I also don't see a way to reset the password without first being able to get into the computer.

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 4:50 PM

8 replies

Dec 23, 2020 6:55 PM in response to babowa

Update thus far:

Reviewed all of the Migration Assistant info, everything was followed and we experienced no issues.

Reviewed the brute force methods, nothing works.

Yes, trying to use the password to get into the computer, NOT using the Apple ID password.

I am currently on Apple support. Was asked to turn system on by taping power then holding command-r. Expecting an administration screen of some sort but no matter what we try the login screen keeps coming up instead.

Will update when I get through this with them.

Dec 23, 2020 7:19 PM in response to Brian-Mpls

you need to press command + r immediately after pressing power button and you need to hold those keys down until you see that the Mac has connected to Apple servers. This can take several minutes. If connected, you will see a “utilities” window.

If you are chatting with support online, you will lose the connection during this.

Dec 23, 2020 8:17 PM in response to babowa

Just finished with Apple tech ... nothing seemed to work the way they expected.

Command + R just went to the login screen.

Held down power key on start up and finally got into startup options (this was also not working initially) Set up a new admin user, was not able to change the password on the original admin user. Attempted to move data to new admin user folders then rename that user and home folder, but still would not work correctly.

Best guess ... Old Mac was 8 years old. When using Migration Assistant system files were brought over that should not have been and caused issues.

Solution : go into startup utilities, erase all volume, reinstall BigSur. Upon start up, set up new users on system, use timemachine to backup from old Mac and restore to new then reinstall every app that is needed.

Thanks for your replies to this!

Dec 24, 2020 1:48 PM in response to Brian-Mpls

Brian-Mpls wrote:

Just finished with Apple tech ... nothing seemed to work the way they expected.
Command + R just went to the login screen.

Just a note for future reference, Command+R is the key combination for the older Intel based Macs. The corresponding action for the Apple Silicon machines is to press and hold the power button when restarting. That little gem is in other docs linked from the one I gave you, but doesn’t seem to have made its way to all the online/phone support techs yet.

Anyway, it sounds like you have it working now.

migration assistant did not transfer password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.