You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Watch is getting notifications while my iPhone is open and in use

My Apple Watch is getting notifications while my iPhone is open and in use. For example, I will be having an active text conversation where the text chat window stays open the entire time, and my watch is getting simultaneous notifications at the same time I am also seeing them on my phone. While the messages app is open and in use. I have my watch notifications set to “mirror my iPhone”. I called apple support yesterday and they said as long as I am set to “mirror my iPhone” I should not be getting notifications on the watch while the phone is in use, but it is still happening. Any suggestions ? Thank you

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 24, 2020 6:35 AM

9 replies

Feb 10, 2021 9:32 AM in response to Shannon310

I have this same problem and truthfully it is quite annoying. For me it seems to mostly happen when it is a Text message and not an Imessage. However, it has happened with Imessage as well. Has support gotten back to you about it or have you figured out a way to fix it? I've restarted my watch. I've repaired my watch. I have completely reset my watch and repaired it and I still can't get it to stop doing this.

Feb 10, 2021 10:46 AM in response to Vantalan

I had an issue (there's a thread here somewhere) whereby the "complication" on the watch indicated countless (unread) messages but they had all been read on the iPhone. Apple support had me update s/w (had already done), restart (done too) and unpair and re-pair. Eventually it resolved itself.

Sounds to me like there's a fundamental "disconnect" happening between the watch and the phone which Apple has not addressed.

Feb 12, 2021 7:57 AM in response to Vantalan

This issue has not been resolved, it is something I guess I have just learned to deal with. I reset the watch multiple times and played around with settings. Also made sure I was on the most recent update. Same with my phone. Nothing seemed to work. Now that you mention it, it does happen more with texts as opposed iMessages. It seems like it is more of a lagging issue. Where iMessages come through a lot quicker than text messages, which is of course mirrored on the watch .. and the watch can’t keep up? I even checked with AT&T to make sure nothing was suspicious in terms of my service or reception, another dead end. I guess Apple will just have to do a better job at marketing to my friends that don’t have iPhones haha!

Feb 12, 2021 7:08 PM in response to Randy-12

I performed Shannon310's directions at least three times. Update, Unpair/pair, backup, restart, etc., etc.

Afterwards, the watch would, expectedly, have a zero message count, but eventually the count would start to accumulate (worst case was 35) when paired with my iPhone that ZERO unread messages.

Then magically somehow, the problem stopped.

I'm waiting for the problem to return. So far it's been a few days and all good.

My Apple Watch is getting notifications while my iPhone is open and in use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.