You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am unable to download the macOS big sur.the installation is not getting completed

I am getting an error message and macOS bigger is not getting installed

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 3:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 8:00 AM

Firstly, read from this link How to upgrade to Big Sur Second - special attention to Empty Disk Space Requirements for successful installation.

There are reasons like slow internet connection over Wifi, unstable connection via Wifi or not enough empty Space.

Suggest verifying all item in linked Apple Document

8 replies

Dec 25, 2020 9:18 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for answering. I tried #1, it did download the whole 12.2GB update but it felt like the file was already on the drive, since the whole process took less than a minute. Even though the downloaded data size was showing 12.2GB the progress bar was stuck at some 90% for 5 min or so. Maybe there was some sort of file integrity check running in the background that failed because eventually the error to reappeared.

Any ideas?

Dec 25, 2020 8:20 AM in response to PRP_53

I'm having the same problem, the software update download stops at more than 80% and an error box comes up "An error occurred while installing the update".

I'm trying to update from Catalina ver. 10.15.7 to the Big Sure on my MAcBookPro 2019 with 59GB free disk space. This is not the first time I'm having this issue. It also happened when I was updating to the Catalina and the one before. The difference now is that before I was always able to "manually" download the update on my drive and install the update from there. This is not available anymore with BigSure - or maybe I just can't find it?

Dec 25, 2020 8:33 AM in response to IgorSlo

There are 3 methods I have seen work. 1 - Directly from the Apple Apps Store and it will bring down the Full 12.22 GB installer to Applications Folder. 2 - Same method as # 1 but via Safe Boot # 3 Vis Recovery Mode and choose Reinstall macOS

As of this writing - there is no standalone update to 11.1 - do not know if that is passe or let to come with 11.2.

Best this Holiday Time and good luck

I am unable to download the macOS big sur.the installation is not getting completed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.