You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Mini backup setting in iTunes keeps changing to iCloud

I back up both my iPhone and iPad to my MacBook, not iCloud. Each time I connect, the iPhone backup setting sticks with "to this Mac" whereas each time my iPad Mini is connect, the setting defaults back to "to iCloud". I've signed out and back into iCloud on my MacBook, iPad but the setting still refuses to stick.

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 8:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 11:31 AM

Update:

A very helpful, methodical and brilliant Senior Advisor finally solved this issue. Here's the solution he walked me through:

1. Connect the iPad to the MacBook with the USB cable
  2. Slide the Backup in Settings > [your name at the top] > iCloud > iCloud Backup to ON but do not "Back up now".
  3. Disconnect the USB cable.
  4. Slide the Backup in Settings > [your name at the top] > iCloud > iCloud Backup to OFF.
  5. Restart the iPad.
  6. Now when it's connected, the Finder setting follows the setting in the iPad.

Hope this helps others.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 30, 2020 11:31 AM in response to huy lim

Update:

A very helpful, methodical and brilliant Senior Advisor finally solved this issue. Here's the solution he walked me through:

1. Connect the iPad to the MacBook with the USB cable
  2. Slide the Backup in Settings > [your name at the top] > iCloud > iCloud Backup to ON but do not "Back up now".
  3. Disconnect the USB cable.
  4. Slide the Backup in Settings > [your name at the top] > iCloud > iCloud Backup to OFF.
  5. Restart the iPad.
  6. Now when it's connected, the Finder setting follows the setting in the iPad.

Hope this helps others.

Dec 27, 2020 7:08 PM in response to huy lim

Hey there huy lim,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're wanting to backup your device to iTunes, not iCloud. We're happy to provide some assistance.

You can turn off iCloud backups by going to Settings > [your name at the top] > iCloud > iCloud Backup.

You can backup to your computer by following the steps under the "How to back up with your computer" section here:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

We hope this helps.

Have a great day!

Dec 27, 2020 7:49 PM in response to Brian_P7

Hi Brian_P7

Thanks for your response. My iPad is already currently being backed up to my Mac.

The issue I have is that each time I connect my iPad to my Mac, the setting goes automatically to the following:

So each time I have to manually set it to back up 'to this Mac' before I start the back up.

Hope this clarifies things. Thanks again!

iPad Mini backup setting in iTunes keeps changing to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.